Saturday, January 18, 2014

Chocolate Strawberry Mini Oatmeal Muffins


We found some perfectly sweet strawberries at the farmers market, then on Pinterest I found Chocolate Covered Strawberry Muffins by Sally's Baking Addiction.  Her recipe sounded really tasty, and they looked it too.  However while I really wanted to make them, I didn't want to go to the store so I needed to be able to use ingredients already in my pantry (and that does not include sour cream).  So I went on a hunt for a basic muffin recipe where I found the Brown Eyed Baker & Oatmeal Muffins with Dates, Cranberries & Pecans.  Still not perfect because my house includes one who is unable to eat buttermilk in any form... but with these two recipe ideas, and a little bit of substitution knowledge... I came up with these.  Since I was already substituting and modifying, I went for one more change that would lower the fat too. 

The final result has a nice balance of all the flavors, the chocolate and strawberry shine through nicely and you have that satisfying nuttiness of the oatmeal too.

So here we go.
IngredientsToolsNotes
  • 1 cup soy milk
  • 1 Tbsp lemon juice
  • 1 cup rolled oats
  • 1 cup all purpose flour
  • 1/2 cup brown sugar
  • 1/2 tsp baking soda
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1/2 tsp cinnamon
  • 1/4 cup chocolate chips
  • 2/3 cups chopped strawberries
  • 1/2 unsweetened apple sauce
  • 1 large egg
  • 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
  • muffin tins
  • flour sifter
  • measuring cups
  • measuring spoons
  • whisk
  • wooden spoon
  • spatula
  • 2 mixing bowls
Prep time: 10 minutes
Baking time: 15 minutes

Servings:
36 mini muffins @ 52 kcal each
OR
12 full size muffins @156 kcal each

1 tsp baking powder. I actually forgot to include this ingredient but it still worked out. If I had remembered to include it, I imagine they would have come out a bit fluffier and risen a bit more as well.  Without it though, I didn't' miss it. The  the mix in to batter ratio, combined with my mini tins, made me feel like I was still getting a satisfying bite.



Instructions
Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
In small mixing bowl, combine soy milk & lemon juice, mix well and set aside.
 In large mixing bowl, combine oats, flour, sugar, baking soda, salt & cinnamon. Mix in your chocolate chips and strawberries.  (Alternately, you could add the mix in's at the very last)
In your small bowl, add apple sauce, egg & vanilla to the lemon milk.
Add wet ingredients to the dry, and mix until just combined - Resembles a loose oatmeal.
Pour out to papered or lightly greased muffin tins.  
Bake 15-20 minutes, toothpick entered in center will come out clean
Cool in muffin pan for a few minutes, then remove to cooling rack to finish.
Store in air tight container at room temperature


No comments:

Post a Comment